Friday 8 June 2012

3 Prettiest Things: Early June Favorites

A few weeks ago I blogged about the three prettiest things that were then growing in the roof garden.  I'd like to try to make 3 Prettiest Things an ongoing series.  Without further ado, the three prettiest things in the red brick building's garden right now are:

1)  Anemone cylindrica (Thimbleweed, Candle Anemone):



I bought this because I stumbled across it at the local nursery and the tag said "anemone" and "white": all the inducement I need to buy.  I love florist's anemones but before I started this garden I never realized how many species of anemone there are.  This one started blooming nearly two weeks ago and I am entranced.  (It helps that it is right outside the window, front and center when I'm on the chaise lounge.)  It is so delicate and pretty.  I don't care in the slightest that the flowers are tiny, there are only 5 petals and they drop very quickly: this is my version of a "grass".  The fuzzy green "thimble" is straight out of a fairy tale.  I want to race back to the nursery and buy another dozen of these but will try to restrain myself and instead keep a sharp eye to see what anemone cylindrica does the rest of the year.  If all goes well, I will be planting a tiny field of these next spring.

2)  Hydrangea x "Wedding Gown":



I'm not the biggest fan of hydrangeas (a predictable, take-the-easy-way-out to fill in space and get mega blooms) but I have to admit my sole shrub hydrangea, an ultra-dwarf named "Wedding Gown" is looking really lovely.  Lovely enough to make me rethink my blanket ban on the entire hydrangea family. 

3)  Geranium "Midnight Clouds":





This was puny when it arrived and the nursery listing promised dark purple foliage, which as you can see hasn't really materialized.  It's still small, but the delicate flowers and lacy leaves show promise.  Fingers crossed it's a more prolific bloomer next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment