Tuesday 5 June 2012

Seating for the roof garden

Even though the weather has been cold and rainy here for days and the forecast doesn't look good either, I've been thinking about that wonderful time when the weather will be nice enough to sit out in the roof garden.  First, though, we need chairs.

I ordered a couple of Kingston Chaises from Restoration Hardware nearly two months ago.  The cushions I chose are white linen-textured Sunbrella.



All are back-ordered until late June.  Here's hoping that waiting for what feels like half the summer to go by will be worth it.  I'm going to put them under the pergola that's being made by our iron-worker.

More recently I've been looking at getting a pair Ballard Design's Ceylon Armchairs to go in the smaller garden "room":



They're similar without being identical to the chaises and I like the way that mixes things up a little, but without calling attention to either.  I don't want the furniture to be eye catching - that's the flowers' job - I'm after quiet elegance and subtle detail.

I'm still gunning for four outdoor barstools and a high top table for the patio.  Despite having seating set low within the garden (and inside the headhouse), I think at times we're going to want a high vantage point, to sit and still see over the balcony railing and down to what's happening at ground level.  I have a feeling I might end up commissioning something via CustomMade, especially the bar stools.  The dimensions and leg shapes of the two tables I like most aren't quite right for the space.  CB2's Element console is too low and the legs on the sides don't leave the necessary overhang so that people can sit at the short ends of the table:



Crate and Barrel's French Kitchen Island is a bit deep at 28"and again, stools can't tuck beneath:
I like the material of each piece though.  Black iron, white marble and concrete would all tie in nicely with materials that are already part of the roof garden.  I think the unfussy lines of the Element console would work better, blending in with the travertine of the patio and letting the iron railing recede, but it's pretty chunky.  Maybe I'll stay with teak for the barstools to tie all the seating together....  Time for some more idea gathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment