Wednesday 15 August 2012

A bedside table splurge

My husband and I took a drive to Newport, RI for the Newport Antique Show the last weekend of July.  There were lots of beautiful things, all with unpleasantly high price tags.  We came across a c.1690 English oyster veneer walnut table and fell for it hard.  A couple of weeks later (we had to make a trip to the dealer's store in Ipswich, MA with our Jeep to pick it up) and here it is in our bedroom:





It's in great condition and the wood has a wonderful sheen - almost like lacquer.  (I ordered protective glass for the top.)  We've been looking for a bedside table for my husband's side since we moved in.  We'd been planning to get a chest, to pick up some extra storage space.  Sometimes the heart trumps the head.  I have a similar but later and more rustic French provincial table on my side of the bed and the almost-symmetry is interesting.  Next up, a pair of tall lamp bases to go on each of these tables, topped by these shades:




I'm thinking either cut crystal or Murano glass but who knows?  White ceramic could work too.  These Asian crackle ones with wood bases came up for auction last weekend but I was too busy to go to the preview and check them out in person:


Anyway, we're planning a trip to Venice in a few weeks and I have high hopes for what we might find there.


No comments:

Post a Comment