Wednesday 25 April 2012

More planting in the roof garden

I've done some more planting in the roof garden.  All the lavender plants are now in.  I put in a row of the dwarf white lavender 'Coconut Ice' under one of the headhouse windows.  I like the idea of a lavender hedge but when I went looking for photos of 'Coconut Ice' to show you, I kept seeing it described as opening pink, then fading to white.  I might have to dig the whole thing up.  See?


Darn nursery plant descriptions.  (Usually I don't buy unless I've researched first at home but I was soooo excited to see dwarf white lavender that I pounced.)   I also planted four 'Cathy Blanc' lavenders, which will undoubtedly be better behaved, though they're puny now:


I planted the white flowering almond Prunus glandulosa alba plena:


I planted two Alstromeria 'Apollo':

I also threw my three Veronica 'Whitewater' into the ground because they have been looking increasingly miserable.  When they arrived they were *stunning*: the definition of elegance in a tiny plant:


Our dwarf North Star cherry arrived yesterday, so I planted him too.  He's pretty tall already - almost four feet, I'd say.


I was planning to espalier him against the iron railing as he grew, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible.  I think I need to bring in someone who knows what they're doing with a pair of pruning shears so as not to butcher him.

When I was checking out the latest arrivals today at my local nursery, I succumbed to the siren call of three incredible 'Dove' columbines.  I planted them all in one big clump.  They're absolutely covered with flowers and over 2 feet tall:


Not bad for some much needed instant gratification, right?

Oh, and while I was planting today I noticed two interesting things.  First, the not-good: some kind of black bird was picking branches off my Artemesia 'Silver Brocade' and carrying them off to make a nest.  The nerve!  I don't even know my new neighbor's name.  He's about the size of a robin, with a yellow beak, black body and whitish speckles on his chest.  Well, that artemesia is gorgeous and *soft* so I can easily imagine it lining a newborn's bed:


The good surprise was that there is a single, minute red strawberry on one of my 'Golden Alexandria' plants!  Incredible, since they're not even in the ground yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment