Thursday 6 October 2011

Feeling (less) blue

Things are really humming at the red brick building.  When I visited today the painters had repainted the transom window over the front door and all the trim:


A lot better with less blue.  I still need to live with the exact shade and intensity of the hue for a while, though, before deciding whether I love it.

The painters applied the first coat of black paint on the two side doors.  Much better already!  That ecru color on those cheap aluminum doors was doing me in.  The painters had taped off the floor in the common entry of the RBB and were planning to paint the first coat of dark blue before leaving today.  Curious to see what it's like and hoping it's not awful!  

I took some photos of our bedroom ceiling light fixture, which has been installed.  Sorry for the protective plastic covering the shade: I want to leave it on until the last of the workers leave, taking their plaster-and-sawdust creating tools with them.



I think it works in the space.

Several of the missing bits of door hardware arrived at the hardware supply house and I picked them up this morning.  It's a huge relief to have the locks to both rental units now and to have the new, smaller mortise for the front door to the building.  The last thing we're waiting on are three more cut glass knobs for the tenants units (somehow we were short a few when the order arrived).  But I have a date when they are supposed to ship from the factory - two weeks from now - which works fine.

I dropped off the house numbers which I spray painted black yesterday and, as I was leaving, the carpenters were affixing them to the brick above the entry intercom system (and hopefully remembering to remove the ugly temporary numbers that are on the front door).

The cabinetmakers were on site installing some of our built-in cabinets.  (They were working in the powder room when I was there, but also had the cabinet that's going over our refrigerator and the two for the tenants' bathrooms.)  They plan to be back tomorrow to continue, especially with our kitchen drawers and the shelves in our master bathroom.  If the mirror arrived today from their glass cutter, there's also a small chance that they might be able to install the master bathroom mirror and medicine cabinet tomorrow.  I would love that because we're planning to spend our first night at the RBB tomorrow night and it would be great to have a mirror over the bathroom sink.

Rods, hooks and shelves were also installed in the tenants' coat closets, so those just need a bit of paint.  The rental units are looking great now.  So proud!

Finally, we have our tile guy on site again!  He hasn't been in in about a week and a half because he hurt his back badly.  He's still in pain but seems determined to finish.  I really want him to get both the guest bathroom and the wall of the head house done because as soon as that exterior wall is done, we can start pleading with the green roof company to come and do their install before the winter.  If that happens, I'll be able to get my orders in early to snag the best plants from the mail-order nurseries for the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment