Thursday 19 July 2012

Imposter

I've discovered an imposter in the roof garden:


Notice anything strange about this plant? Yup, it isn't white!  But of course, it was supposed to be.  The label clearly identified it as Hibiscus syriacus 'White Chiffon' and it grew up from a couple of cut back stumps into a tall bush with large purple leaves.  I was really enjoying it.  See how it fills its corner of the garden in and adds some much-needed height?


When it budded, I was excited to see the flowers in the flesh, but they opened into huge pink saucers and the love affair abruptly ended.  Now I just want to 'disappear' the whole plant.  I didn't keep the receipt from the local nursery I got it from, so a return is out of the question.  Instead, I'm going to dig it up and taking it to the summer house. 

Yesterday I went to a different garden center and found a replacement - a blooming shrub that is *definitely* Hibiscus syriacus 'White Chiffon':



Tomorrow afternoon it's out with the old, in with the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment