Friday 26 August 2011

Our bathtub in September Elle Decor

Okay, not our exact bath but one that looks just like it.  I was catching up on my magazine reading yesterday, enjoying an Elle Decor article about a residence in a converted factory in San Antonio.  I turned the page and lo and behold saw the antique zinc bathtub from our master bath splashed across page 203:


I've never seen another tub like ours anywhere, so it was quite a surprise.  The one in the magazine is a smidge taller and doesn't have the faux-marbleized finish that ours does (that I'm not sure we're going to keep), but otherwise they're dead ringers.  Our tub areas have two other elements in common: the weathered, outdoor-ready material on the floor and walls, and the off-center placement of the tub in front of a window.  I'm drooling over the Texas woman's moody tumbled Versailles-pattern travertine (which is exactly the stone and tile size I used for the head house floor but hers looks so shadowy and dramatic).  Even if it's less grand, my instinct is still that brick is more in keeping with the feel of our brownstone.  I also covet her soaring ceiling and window height (despite our skylight addition).

The whole article is filled with captivating photographs.  The page opposite the tub has this bed:


Significant because on Wednesday I met with our custom millwork guy to discuss more built-ins.  I'm trying to figure out what to do in the head house.  It's a really small, irregularly-shaped space.  Its primary purpose is to be a sitting/lounging area (I looooove to lounge).  But it would also be great to be able to dine up there with friends, so I'm thinking of putting two custom banquettes at right angles to each other and getting a table that somehow is adjustable from a coffee to a dining table height (while still somehow working in both positions with the height of the banquettes).  Yesterday, before I got to Elle Decor, I read the September issue of Canadian House and Home and was excited about this daybed - but not its insane price tag ($13,000, mattress not included!):

Two sleigh beds calling to me.  A shallower custom version of the fully-upholstered one (so soft!) may be in the red brick building's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment