Friday 25 May 2012

New furniture: Antique linen press

Yesterday the linen press was delivered that we bought from our favorite antique store in Savannah.  It's English c.1790, made of mahogany, with original finish and brasses intact.  Please pardon the camera flash - the sky is overcast here today.



A close-up of one of the drawer pulls:


A couple of shots to try to capture the patina and convey the richness of the wood.  Normally I don't like mahogany, but the tones are quite mellow here:



We loved the linen press when we first saw it but that we ultimately decided we didn't have room for it at the RBB and we chose the walnut dresser (for our bedroom) and the French Provincial armoire (for the living room) instead.  Every so often after they arrived, my husband would turn to me and ask whether I thought it was a mistake not to have bought the linen press as well.  Then the store's owner called out of the blue and made us an even better offer on the linen press.  We couldn't refuse. 

We are taking the little French Canadian pine armoire that I've had since I was a child to the beach house and using the linen press in its place in my stepdaughter's bedroom.  My original idea was to hide the TV in the top part of the linen press - something we couldn't do with my old armoire (it's door couldn't swing open widely enough without hitting the foot of the bed to make TV viewing possible.)  But we like the linen press on the long wall beside the bed (instead of opposite it), so now we're thinking about moving the TV downstairs and putting it inside the French armoire instead. 

Having such a serious piece of furniture in my stepdaughter's room makes me want to finish decorating the rest of the room.  I've been looking at beds online for a couple of weeks and I'd love to fix the curtains and curtain rods too.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment